Every year, I ask myself, what can I try out? How can I add some “adventure” to my life?
This year I’m becoming a ski instructor. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do growing up, being part of the “it” group and wearing the cool jacket ;-).
But why did I do it?
Here are 3 reasons why every year I find something new to try out:
- Why no?: Yes, this is not reason enough BUT if there is something you’ve been wanting to explore, ask yourself what is stopping you. If there is NO COMPELLING reason to NOT try it, then go for it!
- Become a learner: As we grow older, we lose our capacity to learn. Not just our capacity to retain information, I don’t know about you, but I keep forgetting things these days… but the mindset to become a learner. To be kind to ourselves as we learn something new; to be patient enough to go through the process of learning, to slow down, take it in. Learning FORCES us to be in the moment and creating these moments of “in the moment” cultivate our internal well being.
- Experience: When we try something new, like in the case of becoming a ski instructor, I get to experience new things. Meeting new people, witnessing their first time encounter with the sport, experience the privilege of teaching them — each one of these experiences will reveal new parts of who we are and what we are capable of becoming.
So, what will you try in the new year? What have you always wanted to do but for one reason or another you never did? Here’s your homework, before the year is over:
- Make a list of everything you’ve always wanted to try out or do
- Circle the 3 things that you are most excited about, even if they are CRAZY
- Then share these three things with your friends and family. You will be amazed at how doors might open for you to make it possible in the new year.
In the meantime, I’m taking time off with my family and working my “other” job.
See you next year!
Dolores Hirschmann is an internationally recognized strategist, Clarity coach, TEDxOrganizer, Speaker & Author. She has over 20 years experience helping entrepreneurs, companies & organizations realize their potential—by guiding them to CLARITY—to define their CORE IDEA, message and market strategy needed to reach their next level of growth. As a Speaker Coach Dolores guides speakers to go from successful professionals to thought leaders in their field. If you would like to learn more visit: www.mastersinclarity.com or download her free resource “STAND OUT THE TED WAY”