Ready for that salary raise or landing that new client? Remember, it’s not about how much YOU ARE WORTH! It’s about how much the other person (prospect client, employer) is willing to pay to SOLVE THEIR PROBLEM! So, in preparation for your next meeting, remember these three tips:
- RESEARCH: Do as much research as you can ahead of time or if needed, during the first part of your conversation. ALWAYS ask OPEN ENDED questions like: What’s the biggest challenge you face? What have you tried in the past?, make sure you follow your question with absolute SILENCE. Chris Voss, in his book “Never Split The Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It” offers some great insights on how to use what he calls calibrated questions to get information about your counterpart.
- LEAD: A well-prepared negotiator always leads the conversation BUT creates an environment where the other persons feel in control. How? By:
- Walking into the conversation being CLEAR about what you want (what is the range you are looking to settle for)
- Being CLEAR about the PROBLEM your counterpart needs to solve
- Managing your emotions. Remember, you have nothing to lose, the other part needs YOU more than you need them – ALWAYS!
- INSPIRE: Having done your research and being crystal CLEAR about the outcome, the solution you can provide; spend most of your time PAINTING the NEW REALITY (this is something I use a lot when coaching speakers, specifically TEDx speakers). Invite your counterpart to IMAGINE what life can look like once their problem is solved. If you do this well, then at some point the other part will ask for your services (always wait for them to ask first) and will be ready to give you what you ask to make that vision come true for them.
So remember, it’s not about how much you are worth, it’s ALWAYS about how much the other person will pay to SOLVE THEIR PROBLEM!
I love getting emails and knowing how this resonates with you and how it is helping you in any way. Have a great rest of your week,
P.S.: Do you often feel in doubt, lacking CLARITY, wondering if you are cut for this? If you have what it takes to make an IMPACT with your products or services? Trust me, I know how that feels! I’ve been there more times than I can count and I know it’s normal to question whether this is possible. So, don’t do this alone! Let me invite you to a conversation where together, we can help you design your action plan.
P.S.: I’m constantly sharing tips and strategies with my followers to help them gain CLARITY around their message and their action plan if you want to join and ask me questions come on to my FACEBOOK PAGE!