In his article “How to Boost Your Creative Thinking”, Gregory Ciotti gives different strategies on boosting your creative thinking. Here’s what he has to say about “moving”:
…”research even suggests that exercise can actually boost creative thinking as well, due to it’s ability to get the heart pumping and put people in a positive mood…If you’re stuck in a creative rut and want to take a break, try including exercise while your brain is subconsciously at work, it may help to speed up your “Aha!” moment.”
So, when in need to solve a problem, figure something out or come up with new ideas try:
- Moving: Bike, walk, run, go kayaking… whatever your form of exercise is.
- Don’t add noise: If at all possible, don’t add noise, music, audiobooks, keep it quiet.
- Solitude: Carve this time for yourself, even if it’s just 30 minutes.
As a takeaway, answer these two questions:
- Where do you do your best thinking?
- How often do you give yourself this time?