Have you tried online dating?
I got married in 1997, so I have not, but many of my friends have tried it with great success.
So I asked them what are the rules of online dating are and they answered:
- Don’t share too much too soon
- Don’t meet in person until you feel you can trust the other person
- Remember to do some research about the other person, watch their behavior online
- If at all possible, find people in common and ask for a reference
- Be clear on what you are looking for
So you might be wondering if I’m about to start online dating.
I’m keeping my man, at least for now (don’t tell him I typed this, he does not read my articles…).
But as our world has turned 100% virtual, every time we make a purchase we are buying something online, it got me thinking how I could use online dating rules to the way we offer our products and services online.
So here’s my interpretation of ONLINE DATING or ONLINE MARKETING:
- Don’t share too much too soon. Share only what your market is looking for. Your prospective client at FIRST only wants to know if you can solve their problem. So be clear on how you do that.
- Don’t meet in person until you feel you can trust the other person. Don’t ask for what your lead is not ready to give you at first. Don’t ask for the sale right away, make sure you get to know each other.
- Remember to do some research about the other person, watch their behavior online. Your prospective customer is watching. Be consistent, even in your private profiles. If you engage in social media you are a public person, so remember that. People like to work with people they trust. So whatever you post, make sure it’s supporting your positioning and your brand. That is also true for who you follow and what you comment online.
- If at all possible, find people in common and ask for a reference. Your prospective client wants desperately to trust you, so find ways for them to learn about you from a third party. Use testimonials, case studies, and third-party endorsements.
- Be clear on what you are looking for. Your prospective client knows what they want and they want to hear that you can offer them exactly that. So don’t be vague. State clearly what problem you solve and how you solve it.
I believe that people want to work with people they like and people they trust.
So embrace online dating or online marketing, just follow the rules.
Have a great weekend,