You just got selected to speak! Or perhaps you want to speak, but you are not sure where to start! Well, in order to speak you need to first WRITE YOUR TALK.
I’ve shown you before how great talks align with my framework and we can use that to help build your talk as well!
So, let’s line up the 7 STEPS:
- Meet your audience where they are: Yes, you have about 60 seconds to make your audience pay attention to you or disappear into their phones, walk out of the room, or drift off into a daydream. So, how are you going to do that?
- Present your idea: Tell them what you are going to tell them. This is a very brief statement of what you are going to talk about. Want to learn some tricks?
- Introduce yourself: This is when you introduce yourself, not because you want to, but because you MUST. The audience is wanting to have a reason to trust you. So, give them that reason!
- Describe the data/evidence: Ok, now that you set the “stage” right, give them the meat and potatoes. Show them the relevance, deepen the reason to care, make them so passionate about your work as you are and do it through story telling and sharing data points.
- Remind them of your idea: You’ve expanded on the IDEA, you’ve showed them the numbers, and put a face to the data by sharing stories. Now bring them back and anchor them on what you’ve been talking about. Remind them of the IDEA.
- Reveal the new reality: So, what is possible? You have shared an IDEA and you gave them a compelling reason to care about this IDEA — now paint the new reality. What would the world look like if they adopted this IDEA?
- Invite a call to action:
Now, what? They are about to walk away from this room and from your presence, what action will you compel them to take? As a speaker, your job is to DELIVER a gift to your audience and make sure that they cherish this gift in such a way that they’ll remember it for a long time AND as a result, they’ll take action — whatever that might look like.
Want some help to WRITE YOUR TALK? Start by downloading the 7 STEPS to WRITE YOUR TALK framework and putting it to work for your message!